Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My Dad



Steve & My Dad (photo by Bryan)


Today is my Dad's birthday. He is 73. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. In my mind he is still in his 50's. Of course, 70 is the new 60. So perhaps he just in his 60's.
My Dad is truly one of the all time greats! He has set a wonderful example to me and has been an inspiration to me all my life. He is so much fun. Dad always made an adventure out of everything. He has exhibited unconditional love to all of his family. He has always supported me and my family. He has over 100 grandchildren and great grandchildren and yet everyone feels especially loved by him and Grandma Joyce. He is creative and interesting and so engaging. If you talk with my Dad for just a little while you want to know more about him. He'll make you laugh and feel good about yourself and your day will be better for having talk to him.
Dad has taught me to love the Savior and to know who I am. He has set an example of true gospel standards. My Dad has long been my hero. If I live to be as half as good as my Dad, then I know I have succeeded in life. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father that he gave me this Dad to walk me through this life.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

What a great tribute! He is an amazing man who also raised an amazing daughter!! Thanks for sharing!!

the Cheerful Optimist said...

You are so right. I love your Dad. He makes me laugh and it is a joy to visit with him. He is very easy to talk to and he has no hidden agendas. For example, I remember one time at his home in Snowflake when they were living in the trailer behind the house and you were living in the house. He said to Joyce, " Are you ready to go and rub bellies together? He is a great man and a great example of living the Gospel to its fullest. Thanks Lonnie for be a friend.

Kimber said...

When did my honey get so old!? Look at that hair! Memba, Steve was MY honey. LOL

Lovely blog to your dad. I wish I knew him more. I really only know what you have told me, and the few times I have met him & Joyce. I am thankful to him for my beautiful brothers and sister and all their children and grandchildren.

Elise said...

How sweet! I miss seeing the family and all of the Shaw get togethers. I am glad I spent time with my family while I was young, and have fond memories of Kick-the-can at Grandpa's house in Taylor with all of my Harper cousins.

Unknown said...

WOW!! I love this blog. I LOVE Grandpa Shaw. Your right he has a special way of making everyone feel important. That is a great birthday tribute.