Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pioneers


July always has the same effect on me. I think about the Pioneers and the sacrifices that they made. I stand in wonder of their dedication to the gospel that they could leave everything safe and secure behind to walk hundreds of miles to an unknown place. Could I do what they did? Would I do it? I will never know. I am however, sure of one thing, that is my uncompromising admiration and love for them and the legacy gift they have left me and my family. I find myself frequently humming the song "Pioneer children sang as they walked".
I know that on both sides of my family, men, women and children were willing to give all, including their very lives and that of their family members for the opportunity to worship the Lord Jesus Christ and follow in his teachings. My Mom once read me an article from a newspaper that quoted Joseph Smith as saying that "no family had given more to the Gospel of Jesus Christ than the Berry family". This after all of the sons had given their lives in forwarding the gospel. (The Berry family is from Mom's side through her Mother.) There are countless stories of courage and grief from pioneers. We've all read or heard them, but when I think of them as real people just trying to do what they thought was right, it literally makes me weep. I hope that I make them proud with how I live my life today.
When I think about the amazing gift of the Gospel, words fail me. Over 6 billion people live in the world today and I...you...we are blessed with the knowledge of who we are, where we come from and where we are going. The peace the Gospel brings is complete! There is nothing else on earth that can ever give us that same peace. I have the pioneers who came from foreign lands to thank for my opportunity to live in a free country and the pioneers of early America for the blessings of worshipping in peace.
With the 24th of July approaching I just wanted to take a few moments and remember those who gave all so that we might also share in the plan of salvation. I know that the testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel burned in their hearts the same as it does in mine today. Blessed, honored Pioneers! I hope I live worthy to tell them myself someday, "Thank you for all you sacrificed".

They the Builders of the Nation

They, the builders of the nation, blazing trails along the way,
stepping stoned for generations were their deeds of every day.
Building new and firm foundations, pushing on the wild frontier,
Forging onward, ever onward, blessed honored pioneers!

Service ever was their watch cry, love became their guiding star,
Courage their unfailing beacon, radiating near and far.
Every day some burden lifted, every day some heart to cheer,
Every day some hope the brighter, blessed honored pioneers!

As and ensign to the nation, they unfurled the flag of truth,
pillar guide and inspiration to the hosts of waiting youth.
Honor praise and veneration to the founders we revere!
List our song of adoration, blessed honored pioneers
!

7 comments:

Princess Lisa said...

Truly a beautiful sentiment. I have to say that I think we so often take the pioneers for granted. I am so grateful for them and the sacrifices they have made for us.

As for your question about whether you could do what they did or would have done what they did...I can't answer for you, but I know I sure wouldn't/couldn't have. I complain when I go to Walmart and may have to walk more than 10 parking spaces. I drive around and around and around (always mindful of gas prices and global warming...) and around and around and around looking for a better spot. I either find one or I drive away and go to a different store or try again tomorrow.

So, to answer your question...for me, I doubt I would have made the trek.

Lonna said...

As you well know, we don't know exactly what we are capable of accomplishing until we are called to do it. One thing is for sure, the Lord never asks us to do more than we can handle. He does however stretch us.....and sometimes it sure hurts!I do know the pioneers are true heroes. Thanks for your comment.

Bryan said...

Thanks! Your testimony of the pioneers strengthens me. Thank you for taking the time to share it. I need to be more mindful of our family and all pioneers. As I get older I definitely have that desire.

the Cheerful Optimist said...

I love the pioneers and wish that my family had direct ties to pioneers. When I read a pioneer story it brings tears to my eyes and warms my heart. I know that the Church would not be who we are without these great people and their personal sacrifices. Thanks Lonna for reminding us how bless we are because of these wonderful people. I appreciated your thoughts and kind words.

Natalie said...

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts on the Pioneers. I have always appreciated what the pioneers did but it has been that last couple of years that I feel I am truly beginning to understand the commitment and sacfrifices they made. I amazed by some of the stories and the faith that they had. It will be a great reunion on the other side someday. I look forward to it.

Rae said...

I also love your comments on the pioneers. But sometimes I think we have just as many challenges as they did, just maybe not in the same way. Think of all the stress in the world today, everyone I know is stressed out. And think of all the trash that is out there in the media and etc. I hate to think of the problems that out youth are facing in the age and time. Physically our challenges are not the same but mentally thay are much harder and Saten is working so hard to make it so. Aren't we so grateful for the gospel!?!

The Morris's said...

Lonna I really enjoyed your post. I really like to ponder on what the pioneers went through in there life's to. It makes me realized that nothing is impossible.