For the last 4 nights my fire alarm has gone off at around 4:00am. It doesn't go off in the day, of course. You can imagine how this sets me off since I've had a real fire. I usually don't go back to sleep.
Well last night, my fire alarm went off around 1:00am and in my stupor, I could not figure out what it was. I remember thinking well it must be 4:00. I looked at the clock and it say 1:00. It shut off and I went right back to sleep. Around 2 it went off again. I sat up in bed but I was so out of it that I just listened and decided it was a one time thing and it would be fine. This is not my usual behavior after the alarm rings. Around 3 it went off again and I was mad, but went back to sleep. Again....not my normal behavior. It went off a 4th time. I think around 3:30. This time I got up, so groggy and got a drink and met Shawna in the kitchen. She works the 3:00pm to 3:00am shift at the hospital, so she is up around that time most days. I remember I felt so weak that I couldn't imagine climbing on the ladder to change the batteries in the alarm. Somewhere in my foggy brain I knew that I was in trouble. I checked my blood sugar level and it was 56. For those of you who don't know, that is dangerously low. I ate and took my tablets and starting shaking and freezing, which is typical for me when it drops so low. My brain was so foggy. I remember Shawna checked on me and I told her I was fine. It took me several more rounds of my tablets to get my levels back up. It was a close call. If the fire alarm hadn't woke me up, I think I very easily could have gone in to diabetic coma.
Now here's the part where I know it's no coincidence that the alarm went off. It never rang again!!!
I know it would be easy to think, but the alarm has gone off every night for 4 days. Nothing weird about that, but it hasn't ever gone off more than the one time and I will always be grateful to Heavenly Father that it woke me up. I know that it was a close one.
3 years ago
12 comments:
I think I am going to get you a night nurse. I don't see any way around it. Other than putting you in assisted living.
Would you make it a nice assisted living with say....jello at every meal?
I think I could arrange for some jello...
At least some imitation jello.
Only the best imitation food for my mom!
You just want to scare me to death, don't you? I have been so worried about you and that darn diabetes (Thanks Mom and Frank). I do so wish they could figure out how to stabilize you. I guess I'll just have to pray harder being that I can't be ther to help you out. I love you!!
I do have a night nurse! It's my weak bladder. Perhaps the Nursing home will have depends and I won't have to get up. There's always a silver lining!
See you silly, you still have fire alarms. Our alarms would go off at 5AM when we had the windows open so we did what any normal person would...we ripped them all out.
Thank goodness you got up and ate something. The shakes and freezing isn't fun.
It is great that we are watch over. I know the middle of the night shakes all to well. I'm glad all is fine and that you recovered OK.
Thanks Kenny! I know you know what I'm talking about. It has taken me a full 24 hours to recover from that one. :(
What a blessing!! That was a scary one. Maybe we should all chip in for a Night Nurse for Christmas!!
Hey Lady, how are you doing? Remember me? how in the heck are you guys doing, whats it been, like 15 years? Where are you guys at, how are all the kids doing?
Hi Lonna, My folks are in Yuma, AZ. They have been down there for a while. My Dad is still banking and my mom is still working part time as an x-ray tech at the hospital. Nothing changes much with them. Chris is down there and is an Architect, Chase just started his first year of dental school, and Cale just got home from his mission and is playing baseball at the local college there in Yuma.
Lonna, I glad everything is okay. The scriptures always tells us that he will tell us many times. Then it is up to us to listen. I so glad that you are okay. If you need anything let us know. Even though right know it would be hard for me to do much at this time.
Post a Comment