So I wanted to put a question out there and see what kind of answers everyone would give.
With the economy being what it is, do you think it is time in your own life to put a stop to so much gift giving?
Have you or your family 'scaled' down your gift giving in recent years?
One thing that is really big here in Utah is the practice of giving some small gift to all your neighbors. I am really mixed on this. First it can be pricey. Second it is time consuming to come up with something cuter than my neighbor! But on the other side I love being able to say "Thanks for being a great neighbor!"
My siblings and I do not give gifts to each other and I like that. It is just too much to worry about all that on top of kids, grandkids, spouse and parents.
I do love this time of year thinking of others instead of what we might want. I really enjoy getting someone something they really wanted and were surprised about. Trouble is....that is hard to do!
Tell me what you think. I'm just curious.
3 years ago
7 comments:
I think that the most neighbors should expect to get is a cookie or two, and this is only if they have spoken to you more than 12 times throughout the year. (Yup, once a month.) And they should have had to do one good deed in your behalf. Or they get a lump of coal.
Don't succumb to the pressure Lonna, stay strong. Give if you think they deserve it, and if you don't like em, spit on their lawn.
Wow...Elise is basically Scrooge!!! That being said, I agree with her.
I'm scaling back on presents. Not the receiving part. I expect to receive just as many, if not more. But I'll scale back on the giving part. That part is much harder than the receiving. This is how I am handling things in the economic crisis.
I think when it comes to neighbors I'd try to put a little thought into something for the ones I really like, and then maybe a plate of cookies for the ones you don't adore but still like enough to give gifts. I know with my coworkers I just bring in a few cakes and a plate of candy and then get something a little nicer for my boss. I think scaling down is definitely a good idea but there are still cute things that you can do that won't break the bank.
So basically the giving of gifts to neighbors must be some weird Utah thing. We (The Paul Shaw Fam) would give baked goddies to friends of the family. Of course after we make them listen to a horriable version of a christmas carol sung by us.
I think there is nothing wrong with scaling back. Christmas isn't about gifts or spending. Besides the best christmas memories never are about the present its about family and about service (given or recieved).
You know that I cut way down a long time ago and and doing more-so this year. But I do have a problem with people giving me things now that I am a widow, as if I needed to be reminded. It just upsets me!
The only neighbors around here that trade gifts are my next door neighbors--the Bishop and his wife.
Hi Lonna! It's great to hear from you! It is such a sad time for their family. I can't stop thinking about it. They were great people and I wish there was something I could do. I also have been thinking how precious life is, and what I need to do and how I need to act, because you do never know what may be around the corner... Keep in Touch! I've still never seen Taylor! We moved before she was born! (Not that I even knew Tara was pregnant!) I was a great neighbor...
Being as poor as I am I will be doing the same as I do every year...very little. I find it funny that the economy hasn't changed my situation much....Yep still poor! Ahh on a serious note...I will still bake goodies and give to the neighbors and friends. However, this year I will not eat 70% of it before handing it out! Who has the money to remake everything ten times because "someone" ate it all? ;)
Post a Comment