Forgotten #4th & 5th
When we lived in the house across the street from where we live now, there was a stair case going down to the basement. We had large photos of all 5 of the kids there going down with the stairs. One day some of my smarty butt kids got the idea to change the order from oldest-youngest to Favorite-least favorite! It was based of my happiness with that child each week. For instance, when Tara went on her mission she remained in 1st place the entire 18 months, Bryan gave me a granddaughter so that kept him in 1st or 2nd most of the time. Shawna rarely did anything wrong so she was usually in 2nd or 3rd. Lisa and Nolan constantly fought for 4th place. Whenever they got bad grades or caused me to worry they instantly fell to 5th place. Now mind you these were self-imposed spots! Every once in a while I would get mad at somebody and change their spot just to show them I was aware! It was funny to all of Nolan's friends who would come by to see if Nolan had moved up the ranks... they would all clap and cheer if he got 4th. When Bryan and Natalie moved out, Bryan knew his place was now 5th. Possibly permanently. Of course they gave me another grandchild and their ranking moved back up but it was touch and go for awhile there. Lisa moved to California and that did not give her favor at all. Fortunately for her....she had the good sense to move back to Utah. When we moved to the house we are in now, we did away with the ranking wall....but apparently some of the children (i.e. read the comments on blog entry 'Nolan's Birthday') still harbor ill feelings about ranking. For your information Bryan, I was on the truck almost the whole month of September! I did not forget you(9/30/76) or your precious Hallie(9/9/99) or your Anniversary(9/6/96)!!! I did not forget Lisa (2/11/81)by anymeans, as if anyone could. I wasn't much of a blogger in February. I am starting to use my blog time more wisely now! So I will say it to you again Bryan...."Oh it's on now Bud!"
These pictures are of Bryan and Lisa from a trip to Arizona that I took ONLY them on. No other kids were allowed!!! Forgotten, pah!
3 years ago
13 comments:
I never got to number one and I am still resentful about that. I was always good, but apparently I have to do something bad and then do something good to get to number one. Ridiculous!
Oh, please Shawna. You're crying over never hitting number one?!?!?! I was always in last place, tied for last or 4th. I never even got a number 3 showing. Not once! Yeah...cry all you want Shawna, ain't nobody feeling sorry for you!
I don't know mom. I think the only reason you took me that trip was due to my unemployment and astonishing lack of anything going on. It's not like I went on a mommy and me trip to Disneyland! *cough, SHAWNA, cough* and it ain't like you came out to Nibley to stay with me for a few weeks. Tara had just had Taylor, but whatever, you still went and stayed with her to visit.
I don't know...I think I win permanent spot of number 5. I never made it to number one or two. Or even three. That's a spectacular disappointment! Sorry Bryan, I'm pretty sure that trumps your feelings of inferiority!
LOL! Is Tara still #1 or is Nolan. Don't worry Lisa, you've got my vote for numero uno.
Thanks Elise! I need all the votes I can get! I think Tara has number one right now. I think she's pretty secure right now.
If I had to rate mom's favorites right now I'd say it goes...
1. Tara
2. Shawna
3. Bryan
4. Nolan
5. Lisa
I'd be willing to switch out Shawna and Bryan...it could go either way, but I'm pretty sure on the others.
Lonna, I'm glad to see that your children pick on you too, I was starting to feel like I was all alone in that. I do think both Bryan and Lisa should be put in last place for picking on their poor old widowed Grandmother, who has never done anything except love them unconditionally!
I am sorry that I can not reveal the rankings at this time. It is much too close to Christmas. Ranking this time of year are based solely on gifts given to Mama. We will hold our breath to see what the outcome is.....stay tuned!
Huh. Mom, I now know why you didn't post about me in September. You were simply too busy writing for the Obama campaign. I haven't heard so much fluff and nonsense since Obama's half hour infomercial. (I'm assuming you helped write for that also.)
In case I forgot to tell you, thanks for that super fun trip to AZ in the middle of the summer. I loved the motel with the sub-par air conditioning. Did I mention the food? The golden corral was super! Oh and thanks for driving me home....oh wait....I don't remember you coming back with us. Huh, that's weird.
Shawna it's that kind of attitude that will keep you out of 1st place forever. Look I may have caught a brief glimpse of 1st but now I'm all done having kids. I've got nothing to compete with now. You see I should have dominated back when I was the only one with kids. Instead Tara went on a mission. So selfish or her. If you play your cards right you could be the last one to have kids therefore cementing your number one ranking at the time of Mom and Dad's death/assisted living days. You know I'm right. Every last child has a unfair advantage. I know because I have a last kid now. Just remember it was all of us that screwed up so badly while growing up that makes you look like a virtual saint now. You owe us.
Mom-As I've thought about it this post just affirms my belief that Lisa and I are firmly in last place. Shawna, Tara and Nolan all have pictures that were taken at happy times. They were all fairly flattering and normal pics. But when it comes to me and Lisa you put up a blurry picture of us fattening it up in front of a buffet. Sure, I'm feeling much better now. I have sunken into a deep depression. Please excuse me while I go eat all I can and then end up crying in the corner tonight while muttering the phrase "4 out of 5 isn't so bad" over and over again. Sorry Lisa, you said you were 5th so I went with it.
Bryan- she was working on the Obama Variety Show. All of the fluff, with added music. "We're solid...solid as Barack!"
You make a fine point about the pictures and the trip. Mom didn't come back with us! She was so disgusted at the time she had to spend with us that she then couldn't even take the trip home with us. So sad, but true.
And the picture...that was the first thing I said to her. "Thanks for that!"
Truly, Shawna does owe me for making her look so bad.
Bryan, I think you'll always have a clear chance at number 1-4.
Right now Tara is firmly in number 1. When Shawna marries she could kick Tara out of that spot. But Tara could trump with twins or something! (Tara likes to trump Shawna's thunder. It was Shawna's birthday...so Tara got married on that day. They have quite a rivalry.)
Nolan is the dark horse to look out for in this competition. He's not causing mom any headaches right now, he's out defending the public...and when he has a kid he may jump up in the rankings. He doesn't come around often, but I think he might be one to keep your eye on.
You've got the kids. You gave mom her first grandchild. She will always remember that. Not just the first grandchild but the first granddaughter AND the first grandson. I don't know if anyone can trump that. By the time I have my kid Mom will be like... "Seen it. What else is new?"
Sadly, I think short of cancer or winning the lottery and buying mom her dream pet (the miniature pony) I am forever cemented in last place.
Lisa,
Don't sell your self short. There are many opportunities. Granted, most of yours remains with tragedy but you never know. The redemption/prodigal son/daughter is your best bet. Here is my advice. Join the military. Nobody can trump service in Iraq or Afghanistan. Not even Nolan.
Oh my poor, poor babies! Who knew I had left you in such pain and betrayal. I thought I was going along just raising kids and then...bam! Rankings come out that I had no control over and suddenly I'm to blame. I feel much like a college basketball team. 5 team players, me the coach, an assistant coach who spends too much time checking out the other team, and worst of all, an unloyal fan base. Rankings put out by some magazine I don't subscribe to. But my pay raise is based off that ranking so I got to play to the powers that be. The University President who wants in my pa....well you get the idea. It's a stressful job. Somebody has to play post. Not everyone can be a guard. Not everyone gets to shoot three's all through the game. But everyone is crucial to the sucess of the team. The great thing about the game is that some point everyone gets to be the HERO. You've all been there.
Sure, you're getting old now and may be past your prime but you can always remember the glory days!
The way I see it Bryan, you still got a chance for 1st. What if one of your kids become the first Mormon president?
Lisa, you would so be in 1st place forever with the lotto winnings that provide me with a debt free life and a mini pony!!! No one could take 1st after that.
As an outsider looking in here are my rankings based upon hours of sweat, tears and love. They are just rankings predicated upon many different conditons.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5. (Alphabetically, B,L,N,S,T)
Everyone can move up in the rankings depending on the most expensive gives given to Lonna!!!!
LOL, LOL,,,more LOL
I don't know who's in first or last but I have an award for you sis on my blog.
I demand a decent picture posted of me. Lisa had a good one about 6 months ago on her blog.
Post a Comment